Pet dander and other contaminants like hair and dust are a cause of allergy to humans. As much as you want an indoor pet, you will have to consider your health, as prolonged exposure to such allergies can lead to respiratory ailments and skin rashes. The best way you can control pet dander is by investing in one of the best air purifiers for pets. This can limit the amount of exposure it has on your system and helps you with asthma and easy breathing.
- Best Air Purifier for Pets 2018
- Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
- Why Should You Trust Us
- What is Pet Dander and Why is It a Problem Worth Getting Rid Of?
- Air Purifier Buying Guide
- Things to Consider While Buying Air Purifier for Pets
- 1. Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
- 2. Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA-OdorCell Filter
- 3. Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner
- 4. GermGuardian AC5250PT 3-In-1 Air Purifier with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter
- 5. Honeywell True HEPA Pet Allergen Remover
- 6. Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier for Pets
- Air Purifier FAQs-10 Most Frequently Asked Questions by Customers
Best Air Purifier for Pets 2018
Therefore, there is no need for rehoming pets, as you can get rid of pet dander with any of the best air purifiers for pets. In this review, you will familiarize yourself with pet dander basics, dangers, as well as why you need to remove it from your environment. Nevertheless, the buying tips here will help you select the best option for your home.
Why Should You Trust Us
Pet dander and other forms of air contaminants and germs are always a bother to pet owners and that is why we have taken the initiative to help. You can place your sole trust in us. This is because we have done a thorough research in order to give you a list of some of the best air purifiers for pets.
As a home improvement website, we only owe you the truth no matter the cost. As staying healthy and allergy free comes at a very expensive price.
We recognize the problems that most pet owners go through, especially those prone to allergies and have asthma. Besides, pets are the friendliest companion you can add to your life and that of your family.
Therefore, we got you covered with some of the best six, air purifier for pet dander, pollens, germs and other air contaminants. They will deliver 100% as indicated, no false promises. You just have to follow the user manual to the latter.
What is Pet Dander and Why is It a Problem Worth Getting Rid Of?
Pet dander are small microscopic, dead cells that are shed by pets from cats to dogs, birds, and rodents as well as any other animal with a feather or fur.
It is not about animal hair or fur, but the protein found in the animals dried saliva and urine as well as dried feces that causes the allergy.
It is these dried proteins and dust from the animal’s waste that become airborne to be easily inhaled by humans. This can immediately lead to sneezing, coughs, runny and stuffed noses, watery eyes and even wheezing, depending on the level of exposure and your immunity level.
Besides, it does not always affect everybody but people who are allergic to pets and those with asthma.
The most common allergies are those from dog and cat flakes. There is the Fel d 1 protein that is found in cats and the can f 1 and Can f 2 protein commonly found on dogs.
How Does Pet Dander Affect Your Health?
Pet dander is very dangerous, especially with prolonged exposure. It can attack your immune system and weaken your lungs, leaving you with bronchitis. It can also increase your chances of getting respiratory ailments.
Besides, you can also develop sinusitis and even an ear infection from it. It can trigger asthma too. Other symptoms include coughing, wheezing, tightness in the chest, runny and blocked noses, eczema, watery or itchy eyes and rashes.
The only solution is to reduce it in your surrounding environment, as it is something that will rise and keep on rising if not controlled.
Moreover, you can have either a low or a high sensitivity towards it. Highly sensitive people often start to feel its impact in less than 15 minutes with symptoms ranging from rashes on the skin, on their upper chest and neck area.
Low sensitivity people can feel its reaction after a few days of contact. Nevertheless, this should not be a reason to let it be. You should still try to reduce it in the air, on a daily basis.
How to Get Rid of Pet Dander?
- Use an air purifier for pets with HEPA air filters
- Vacuum, keep the house clean
- Replacement of home furnishing, especially those made from fabric i.e. curtain fabric drapes with blinds
- Resist constant washes/pet bathes as it will flake some pet dander when you dry it
- Establish boundaries and create pet-free zones
Air Purifier Buying Guide
Things to Consider While Buying Air Purifier for Pets
Before you buy any air purifier for pets, you should consider loads of stuff from the type, model and filter it uses. Otherwise, you might end up with a model representation and not the actual air purifier for pets.
Here are some basic guides to get you started.
- Room or whole house air purifiers for pets– You can opt for any of the two. Room air purifiers for pets are usually small, portable and cost-effective. However, its maintenance cost is high, especially with the constant filter change. Besides, most good ones can detect when the air needs to be purified and auto-purify it. You just have to ensure it will cover the given room in square feet.
Whole room air purifiers for pets are often cost-effective when it comes to maintenance and energy use. Its filters can also last for many years. However, installing it is the expensive part. It is often installed in the duct of your HVAC system
- Filter type-This matter a lot as filters often add to the overall buying and maintenance cost. HEPA filters are the best and the most preferred choice as they work efficiently to ensure that over 99.97% of pet dander and other air contaminants are removed from your surrounding air. Moreover, you can always do some research on filter type, for knowledge sake
- The rate of air change– This is the rate at which, the filter in your air purifier for pet, cycles and recycles the surrounding air in an hour. The faster the better for energy conservation
- Clean Air delivery ratings, CADR- This is the amount of air, which any air purifier for pet can clean in any given minute. It shows exactly what can be cleaned be it dust or pet dander and the size of the room the machine and its power can handle
- Features- It is important to familiarize yourself with the basic concepts as well as features that a quality air purifier for pet This will help you determine the top features to have and their usefulness. Some great features to always have, include but not limited to air quality readouts, LED lights, air quality sensors and indicators for filter change or clean-up as well as auto-cycle and silent operating features for when you are working, resting or sleeping
1. Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
This air purifier for pet is the ideal choice for homes with pets as it can filter up to 99.97% of 0.3 plus microns, pet dander, allergens, molds and dust mites.
Moreover, it has six stages of air deodorization and purification. It has a permanently washable pre-filter for taking care of the large particles as well as a medium filter for particles larger than 1 micron like pet dander and pollen.
Its BioGS HEPA filter can trap up to 99.97% of air particles and still manage to reduce the build-up of mold, pet dander and other air contaminants in the filter. Likewise, it can prevent the growth of virus and bacteria and prolong the life of the filter.
In addition, it has a customizable filter that ranges from germ defense, odor remover, pet allergy and toxin absorber. It is up to you to choose, which you want to make use of. It also has a charcoal-based activated carbon filter for odor removal and a negative Ion generator for a fresh indoor air.
It comes with a 5-years warranty and a five-speed motor that works very silently. Besides, it can cover up to 815 square feet.
What Makes This The Best Air Purifier for Pet Allergy?
- Customizable filter– This allows it to customize and remove pet allergies and pet dander from the environment, using the pet allergy filter. Besides, it has other three customizable options you can use
- BioGS HEPA filter– If you want your filter to stay the course and function well. You will have to consider buying an air purifier with this filter type. This is because it can remove up to 99.97 air pollutants and prevent the build-up and growth of contaminants that can spoil the filter
- Activate carbon filter, charcoal-based feature– This can take care of any odor in the household, be it from pets or food, making the air fresh and breathable
2. Alen BreatheSmart Customizable Air Purifier with HEPA-OdorCell Filter
If you want an air purifier for pet that can remove, all air allergens as well as cigarette smoke odors. Then this is the best air purifier for pet owners, as it can easily take care of pet dander and allergens, giving your house a taste of clean fresh air.
This air purifier for pet can cover large rooms with an open concept up to 1,100 square feet. Besides, it works very silently producing a soothing noise that can help you fall and stay asleep comfortably.
Moreover, it has Alen Smart sensor for detecting the quality of air within your surrounding and auto-purifying it immediately. The smart sensors also help with filter life and functionality as well as energy conservation.
It has a limited lifetime warranty, for Mexico and the US only. Use of it outside these two countries will void its warranty.
How Can This Air Purifier Help Prevent Pet Dander?
- Has a smart sensor feature– This can auto-detect the quality of air and adjust with it accordingly by purifying it, be it pet dander, pollen or allergens
- HEPA-OdorCell filter– This air purifier for pet has a unique filter that reduces allergies in your surrounding and can easily purify the air twice in an hour. Besides, it can take care of any cigarette smoke and pet odor, leaving you with fresh air only
- Large area coverage– It can efficiently cover a room of up to 1,100 square feet, reducing the number of pet allergens and dander all over. No need to shift places when you have this air purifier for pet
3. Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner
This air purifier for pet dander, smoke, pollens and household odor comes with a five-stage filtration system. It has the washable pre-filter for large pollen air particles, a True HEPA filter that can remove 99.97% of 0.3+ microns, a CleanCel Anti-bacterial treatment, an advanced odor control system (granular carbon filter) and a Winix PlasmaWave technology for neutralizing viruses and bacteria.
Moreover, it has a quality auto-mode Smart Sensor that can adjust and increase the speed to a required level to clean the air effectively. You can adjust its speed from low to medium, high and even turbo for immediate air purification.
Besides, it has auto-dim LED lights that make using it in bedrooms very effective, especially at night.
In addition, it has a filter indicator for convenient filter replacement and can cover rooms of 283 square feet.
How Can This Air Purifier Eliminate Pet Odor?
- Five-stage filtration system– It can easily take care of pet dander and other pet allergens through its True HEPA filter and washable pre-filter. Its CleanCel Anti-bacterial treatment and Winix PlasmaWave technology helps with bacteria, viruses, gases, and odor while the granular carbon filter takes care of all forms of indoor odor from household to pet odor
- Four adjustable speed settings– This can really help with controlling pet dander in the air. You can set it at whichever speed you want in order to minimize the effects and spread of pet dander and pet allergies in your surroundings. The speed ranges from low, medium, high and turbo
4. GermGuardian AC5250PT 3-In-1 Air Purifier with Pet Pure True HEPA Filter
This is the best air purifier for pet allergies and dander as it comes with a Pet Pure Antimicrobial Treatment for preventing the growth and spread of viruses, bacteria and other contaminants in the filter. It also protects the filter, prolonging its use.
Besides, it has a True HEPA filter that takes care of 99.97% of air particles that are as small as .3 microns. As for pet odor and other household odors, its charcoal filter can easily remove them.
This air purifier for pet has UV-C light technology that has Titanium Dioxide for eliminating airborne bacteria, viruses and mold spores and germs.
This air purifier for pet also has a timer you can program to purify your air and remove all pet dander and allergies in 1-8 hours before it auto-shuts. This helps with energy management.
However, for filter replacement always ensure you use Genuine Guardian Technologies for optimal maintenance of this air purifier for pet. In addition, this ensures the warranty remains effective, for the given years. Besides, the filters are very easy to replace, no hassles.
It has five fan speeds, comes with a 5-year limited warranty, and is CADR rated 125+.
What Makes This The Best HEPA Air Purifier for Pet Hair?
- True HEPA filter– This type of filter often takes care of up to 99.97% of pet dander and allergies. It can combat air particles that are as small as .3 microns
- Charcoal filtration system– You can rely on this filter to do away with all sorts of household odors from food, smoke, and even pet This ensures a clean fresh air for easy breathing
- Five-speed settings– The speed settings often determine how effective the air purifier will work. So, you can be in a position to control the air quality by limiting the spread of pet dander and allergies in your surrounding air
5. Honeywell True HEPA Pet Allergen Remover
If you want an easy to use and maintain air purifier for pet allergens, dander, smoke, household odor and bacteria, then you should buy this air purifier for pet.
It has a HEPA filter that can remove 99.97% of air allergens, and pollutants that are as small as 0.3 microns. Besides, it has an activated carbon pre-filter for removal of odor, VOCs, gases and large particles in the air. However, you should replace this pre-filter every 3-months for continued effectiveness
You just have to ensure that the replaced filters are Certified Honeywell, to ensure it works as stated and does not malfunction. It also has a convenient filter change indicator.
This air purifier for pet has four air purifying levels that is germ, general clean, allergen, and Turbo setting. Its filters can circulate the room 5x in an hour, only if used within the recommended 465 square feet room capacity.
It has a timer that auto-shut every 2, 4, or 8 hours and is energy efficient.
How Can This Air Purifier Help Prevent Pet Allergies?
- HEPA filter– With this filter type, you can always get rid of 99.97% of air allergens, pet dander, pollen and mold spores. Therefore, you will be in good hands with this air purifier for pet as it will cleanse your surrounding very well
- Speed settings– Its four levels of speed will also help you with efficient removal of pet allergies and dander within your surrounding environment. You can have it at whichever option and it will prevent the spread of all kinds of air pollutants and allergens
- Activated carbon pre-filter– This one here will take care of the large air particles, pet dander, and allergies. It can also help with pet odor, which is often very irritating and foul
6. Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier for Pets
This air purifier for pet can get rid of air allergens and particles as small as .3 microns. Its HEPA filters can remove 99.97% of pet dander, pollens from plants, mold spores, and household dust. You just have to set it to the required fan speed for efficacy. You can choose from low, medium, high and turbo.
Its active carbon filter embedded in the pre-filter can remove all household odors from smokes to pet odor.
This air purifier for pet has a filter change indicator, for reminding you when to change the filters. However, you should ensure that the filters being used as replacements are Certified Whirlpool. In relation, its pre-filter should be changed every 3-months and the HEPA filter annually.
Besides, it works very quietly and can auto-detect air quality and adjust accordingly to clean it. Its sleep mode feature also allows it to produce a very soothing and calm sound that you can sleep through.
It has a safety, lock system and can be placed anywhere due to its compact dimensions.
Why Do We Recommend This Air Purifier for Pets and Dust?
- HEPA filter– This filter is effective in removing 99.97% air contaminants
- Pre-filter with active carbon filter– It will ensure that no odor from pets can spoil your surrounding air. Moreover, the pre-filter can easily take care of the large particles, dust and pet dander
- Five-stage setting– You can have the pre-filter and the HEPA filter adjusted to any stage you want for efficient air purification. Each of them has a five-stage timer reset purification setting
- Fan speeds– This air purifier for pet has four-speed settings that can be adjusted depending on the quality of air, you can have it at low, high, medium or turbo. Besides, its auto-detection features can also adjust and purify the air when air quality changes
Air Purifier FAQs-10 Most Frequently Asked Questions by Customers
- Question: How much space can an air purifier cover?
Answer: Air purifiers are often designed to cover small, medium and large rooms. Therefore, just look at the specification of area coverage. It is always in square feet
- Question: How often should I replace the HEPA filter?
Answer: Depending on use and the quality of indoor environment, you should always replace your HEPA filter annually
- Question: Can I clean my HEPA filter instead of replacing it?
Answer: No, you cannot wash, vacuum or clean a HEPA filter as this will eventually reduce its effectiveness and spoil it. Besides, it can make the warranty void. Always replace it as advised
- Question: How often should I clean washable pre-filters?
Answer: You can always clean your washable pre-filters once a month. This also depends on your indoor environment and location. Otherwise, you can clean it more than once
- Question: How often will I need to replace the UV lights?
Answer: Normally UV lights last for more than 5,000 hours. Therefore, if you are using it for an average of 8 hours a day, it can easily last for more than a year and a half
- Question: How long should I run the air purifier?
Answer: For best results, always run an air purifier continuously as most come with multiple adjustable speed control systems. This makes them highly energy efficient and quiet, depending on the working speed
- Question: Are there any side effects of an air purifier?
Answer: No, unless they have ozone. Otherwise, they often maximize your health and can help you fight off allergies and respiratory ailments
- Question: What is a HEPA filter?
Answer: HEPA stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air. It is the standard given to filters, which can remove 99.97% air pollutants of 0.03+ microns. It is efficient in removing microscopic particles from the air
- Question: Is it expensive to use an air purifier?
Answer: This depends on whether it is energy efficient or not. Most goods ones are energy efficient
- Question: What are the best air purifiers for people with asthma?
Answer: The best air purifier for those with asthma is the HEPA air purifier. You should avoid Ionic air purifiers and Ozone generators, as they tend to give out harmful by-products like Ozone
Conclusively, some of the best air purifiers for pets are designed to combat almost any air allergies and odor. It can take care of pet dander and allergies as well as other air pollens and dust without malfunctioning.
They are ideally multi-purpose and can help with allergy issues as well as asthma. The best air purifiers for pets often allow for easier breathability by providing you with quality fresh air.
You can rely on any of the ones listed above, for your home. It does not matter if you have pets or not as they remove all forms of odor and air pollutants.
Other Related Guides: