Mold is part of nature and cannot be dealt with for good. It is good for outside nature as it can help with tree and leaves decay. However, indoors it can destroy your home décor and give you allergies, which can cause mold ailments. Nevertheless, you can always invest in the best air purifier for mold and mildew to combat bad odor and mold spores as well as keep yourself healthy.
Air purifiers often work to reduce and minimize the effects of mold and mildew in your home, by capturing and filtering them for a breathable fine air. Besides, they can also combat dust mites, bacteria, and pollens.
Best Air Purifier for Mold and Mildew
You can familiarize yourself with the top six air purifiers in this review. Get to know their basic use and maintenance rules, buying tips and reasons why you should eliminate them in your home.
Why Should You Trust Us?
You should trust us, as we have dedicated our time to research and provide you with some top air purifiers for mold, mildew and other air allergens. As a home improvement website, our only aim is to ensure your home stays put, making it elegant and healthy to reside in.
Remember molds lead to allergies that can give you a runny nose, red eyes, sneezing, and rashes. These are symptoms of hay fever and cold and it can be worse if you are asthmatic.
Therefore, we only strive to make your health better by giving you resourceful tips and guides when it comes to your home needs.
So do not hesitate to try some of the listed air purifiers and air pollutants. These air purifiers are far the best for your home. You just have to know how to use and maintain them as recommended by the manufacturer.
Mold Air Purifier Comparison Table – Top 3
Why Should You Get Rid of Mold and Mildew?
Mold and mildew are often harmful to your health and can be hazardous to your home décor, furniture, and clothes. It is important that you get rid of it, no matter the cost.
This prevents its build-up anywhere in your house. Besides, mold likes to reside in places with loads of moisture. Therefore, always take care of any dampness in your home, clothes, and machinery like humidifiers.
Here are some reasons why you should always get rid of mold and mildew in your home:
- Destroys buildings– Mold often like to reside on walls be it wallpaper or paper backing. If left unchecked it can eat it all up. Besides, it also likes to eat away the glues used to bond carpets
- Smells bad- The more it builds up the more it starts to produce a bad musty odor. Mold likes to reside in damp, moist places. Therefore, as it destroys your home, it also makes it look and smell bad. Note, the musty odor is slippery and dangerous, especially on wood
- It can make you sick– Mold is dangerous, especially if inhaled almost every single day. It can give you allergies and exacerbate the effects of asthma. You can also develop a runny nose and watery eyes if you do not get rid of it
- Affects weak immune systems– You can seriously develop an infection from the mold if you have a weak immune system. The infections often begin in your lungs, due its inhalation and spreads all over your body
- Mold can affect your neurological system– Too much exposure to mold can lead to memory loss, migraines, chronic fatigue, and mood swings
- Gives you skin Problems– Prolonged exposure to mold can lead to viral and bacterial infections. It can also cause skin rashes, hives, and eczema
Do Air Purifiers Eliminate Mold Spores?
Mold likes to lack in damp, moist places with high humidity. It can be hard to remove, once it settles on any surface. However, if it is still in the air, an air purifier can easily trap it and prevent it from breeding in your home or office.
Moreover, you should note that mold could also breed on low-quality air purifiers made from cellulose papered-filters.
True HEPA filters can easily catch it and prevent it from spreading in the room. In relation, these filters are made from glass fiber or synthetic materials that make it impossible for the mold to breed. Therefore, you should invest in quality air purifiers with True HEPA filters.
How Air Purifiers With True HEPA Filters Work to Eliminate Mold?
Air purifiers designed with True HEPA filters often help in mold elimination, by absorbing the airborne mold spores and other pollutants before they touch and settle on any surface. After, which they become trapped in the fiberglass filter. This gives the air purifier a chance to emit quality fresh air back to the indoor environment.
However, you should note, that air purifiers are only effective with floating mold spores in the air. It cannot get rid of any active mold growth.
Besides, such kinds of air purifiers are designed to work 24/7, circulating all the air in the room. You should also note that air purifiers often work well indoors with the windows and doors closed.
Things to Consider Before Buying Air Purifier for Mold
You should always buy a top quality air purifier to ensure it does not just exacerbate the problem but sorts it out.
Here are some top buying guides for a quality, functional air purifier.
- Type of filter– Always considers a filter type made from fiberglass or synthetic materials as they only capture the floating mold spores and release clean fresh air back to the surrounding indoor environment. The best is always the True HEPA filters. Though pricey, they are worth it unlike those made from cellulose paper.
Nevertheless, you can opt for a combination of activated carbon filters and True HEPA filter to combat bad mold odor, as True HEPA filter cannot remove odor.
Moreover, you can also look for filters with antibacterial coating to help with airborne bacteria and germs.
A washable pre-filter is also important as it captures large particles and prolongs the filter life
- Room and size– You should consider room size in terms of square feet. Look for specifications and limitations before buying. The larger area it covers the better it will work for small and large spaces
- Use and maintenance– Take care when it comes to using an air purifier. as it can determine how long it lasts. It applies to maintenance too. Always do constant checkups as recommended by the seller. Moreover, you should know the cost of maintenance before buying, as filters often need to be changed as stipulated in the user manual
- Essential features– Different models have different features. Therefore, opt for one with important features that can maximize its use and give you total operation control. Some of them include a programmable timer, carry handles, caster wheels, air quality sensors, an indicator for filter change, digital control systems and a remote control system
- Energy and noise consumption – These two matters a lot as it can determine how everyone in your house lives. Too much noise can prevent you from sleeping well while its energy consumption can increase your electricity bills. Therefore, go for one that operates quietly and has energy saving options, as air purifiers are meant to be left running all the time
- Size and portability- Buy an air purifier you can easily move from room to room. You can also check on its portability feature be it a handle or a wheel caster. You should note that size sometimes does not affects its performance. As it can have high-quality performance features be it small or big. Therefore, consider size but know its level of optimal functionality first
- Warranty– Most air purifiers have a one-year warranty and the longer the better. Stay away from air purifiers with no warranty. Moreover, it should also have a return-policy guarantee to protect you from a low-quality spoilt product
Our Top Choice: Levoit Air Purifier with True HEPA Filter
This is the best air purifier for mold and airborne pollutants as it can easily filter them and remove any bad odor that comes with food or mold. This is attributed to its three-stage filtration process from pre-filter to True HEPA and an activated carbon filter for odor removal.
This air purifier is ideal for allergy sufferers as well as those with respiratory issues/congestion, as it can easily filter small air particles from 0.3 microns to large air particles of PM 2.5, which is the pollution rate.
It is CADR rated 135+, refreshing your surrounding air in less than 10 seconds. Besides, it works very quietly on its lowest setting and is very conducive for light sleepers. Additionally, it has three levels of fan speed settings for your convenience.
Besides, you make use of its programmable timer to set it up for air purification anytime between 1-12 hours. Moreover, it can cover a room of up to 322 square feet that is 30 square meters.
Its filter is to be replaced after every six months or earlier, depending on use.
What Makes This The Best Air Purifier for Mold Removal?
- No ozone pollutants– This air purifier does not use any UV or Ion that can emit harmful air pollutants like ozone, which is harmful to the human body. It just works to eliminate floating mold spores in the air
- Has a three-stage filtration system– It can easily get rid of small and big air particles between 0.3 microns to PM 2.5 and remove odor using its activated carbon filter. This is because it has a pre-filter, True HEPA and activated carbon filters
- Smart auto-mode setting– This can tell you the quality of your surrounding air and auto-suggest a fan speed that can purify the air faster and rid it off of floating mold spores
1. Oransi Finn HEPA UV Air Purifier
This air purifier can help with asthma, allergies and mold spores. You can sleep better as it purifies your surrounding air silently. Besides, it has a dual set of fan blades for efficient air purification.
Moreover, it can help with respiratory stuffiness by maximizing your home fragrance and air quality.
Its set-up is straightforward. In addition, it comes with a 2-year v-HEPA filter and two cleanable pre-filters as well as a Finn air filter that increases its lifespan.
This air purifier has an easy, simple and portable design that can fit anywhere in your bedroom or office space. Besides, it has three fan speed settings and a filter replacement indicator for when you need to replace its filters.
Why Do We Recommend This Air Purifier?
- Better lasting filters– It has quality HEPA filters that can combat up to 99% of 0.3 microns of air particles like mold spores and other air pollutants. Its pre-filter also ensures that the large air particles are removed from the air
- Ionizer– This ensures that your indoor environment is free from germs thus improving the air quality. It also minimizes the spread and growth of mold spores by making the air cleaner
- UV lamp– This feature is essential as it takes care of airborne viruses, bacteria as well mold spores for a breathable fresh air
- Multipurpose– This air purifier can remove pet dander, dust, allergens and pollens in the air, ideal for people with asthma
2. GermGuardian AC4825 3-In-1 Air Purifier
If you want an air purifier that can capture dust, mold spores, allergens, kill germs and get rid of bad mold and food odor. Then this here is your best pick as it can capture up to 99.97% of .3 microns of air pollutants.
This air purifier has three-speed settings. Its low-speed setting is very quiet and ideal for light sleepers. In addition, it has a filter change indicator as well as a convenient UV bulb replacement indicator.
Additionally, it is CADR rated 100+ and requires the use of original replacement parts from Genuine Guardian Technologies. Otherwise, your warranty will be invalid. Besides, it comes with a 3-year warranty.
It stands at 22 inches and is highly portable. Moreover, it is designed for medium-sized rooms.
You should also change its filter as recommended in the user manual for longevity purposes.
How Can This Air Purifier Eliminate Mold Spores?
- Has a HEPA filter– This ensures it gets rid of 99.97% of mold spores, pet dander, dust and pollen
- UV-C power– This is very effective when it comes to killing the airborne virus, bacteria, and mold spores. It can also kill airborne germs like influenza, staph, and rhinovirus. Besides, it activates titanium dioxide, to reduce any other airborne organism left floating in the air
- Activated carbon filter– This is essential as it can get rid of any musty odor, be it from mold spores, or food. It can also help with cigarette smoke and any other form of smoke. Remember, HEPA filter alone can never remove any odor be it from food or mold spores
3. PureZone 3-In-1 True HEPA Air Purifier for Mold Spores
Looking for a soft, soothing air cleaning, here is an ideal pick. This air purifier has different noise levels ranging between 30dB, 40dB, and 50dB for low, medium and high noise levels respectively.
It can cover rooms of up to 200 square feet, with a three-speed control setting, from low, medium and high speed.
Moreover, this air purifier has an auto-timer control system that can purify the air and auto-shut in every 2, 4 or 8 hours, to conserve energy.
In addition, it has three filtration systems that consist of a pre-filter, activated carbon filter and True HEPA filter for combating up to 99.97% of mold, smoke and musty odor. It also has a UV-C light that can easily kill any germs, fungi, bacteria, and viruses.
It comes with a 5-year warranty and weekly customer support system.
What Makes This the Best HEPA Air Purifier?
- HEPA filter– The HEPA filtration system in it can do away with mold spores, dust and pet dander very efficiently. It can get rid up to 99.97% of these floating air pollutants
- Auto-timer– Its auto-timer setting can save you loads of energy by auto-shutting every 2, 4 or 8 hours
- Has a filter reset indicator– This will help you know when you need to replace the 3-in-1 filter system for efficient mold spores removal. Moreover, you should replace the filters as recommended by the manufacturer. Use the user manual in case you get lost
- UV-C light– This feature will sanitize your surrounding air by killing all germs, bacteria as well as viruses that might give life to more air pollutants
4. AeraMax 300 Air Purifier for Mold and Mildew
It has a four-stage purification system that removes up to 99.97% air pollutants that are very small, 0.3 microns and above.
The filtration stages are the activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, AeroSafe antimicrobial treatment and Plasma True technology. The result is always a clean and fresh air free from mold spores, ragweed, viruses, dust mites, bacteria, bad odor and cigarette smoke.
In addition, it has a special feature for allergy, flue and cold season. It can easily help with capturing influenza virus indoors.
This air purifier for mold and mildew has an AeraSmart sensor that will auto-detect any air pollutant and auto-purify it immediately. In relation, its True HEPA filter is AeraSafe, as it has been treated with antimicrobial treatment for effective purification in the long run.
Moreover, it is Certified Asthma and Allergy friendly by AAFA, the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
It comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
Why is This Recommended Large Room Air purifier?
- Room coverage– This air purifier is designed to purify large rooms of 300-600 square feet. It can easily reduce odor within the sized room and ensure that the air quality is breathable
- True HEPA filter– This filter is very effective when it comes to removing airborne particles, from ragweed to mold spores. Besides, the filter has an antimicrobial treatment that ensures its optimum performance and prevents the growth of fungi, bacteria, and mold on it
- Activated carbon filter– This allows the filter to take care of any bad odor in the room. It can remove bad odor from mold or food and still take care of the large particle floating within the room
- Plasma TRUE technology– This helps with creating an ionized surrounding field so that the air pollutants like mold spores are safely removed from your surrounding air
5. Whirlpool Air Purifier WPPRO2000 with True HEPA Filter
Air purification has never been this fun with this air purifier for mold, allergens and dust mites. It also gets rid of smoke and any musty odor using its activated carbon filter.
It is one of the best mold air purifier as it can filter up to 99.97% of .3 microns of air pollutants using its five-stage filtration system. Besides, it can purify rooms of up to 508 square feet.
Moreover, you can let it work silently as you sleep. It has a built-in air quality sensor for detecting air quality and purifying it.
You can use its filter indicator to know when to replace the filters. Activated carbon filter often needs a replacement every 3 months while True HEPA filters can last a year.
In addition, it has a four-fan speed, low, high, medium and turbo for immediate air purification. It also has an auto-timer mode that that can auto-shut every 2, 4, 6 and 8 hours, conserving energy in the process.
Other essential features include a sleep mode and a safety switch for the filter door.
This air purifier is backed by a limited 5-year warranty.
What Makes This One of the Top Air Purifier for Mold and Mildew?
- Air quality monitoring feature– The auto-mode, blue, yellow and red indicators can help you determine the air quality in order to purify the air up to a breathable level
- Has a five-stage filtration system in place– This consists of an activated carbon filter and a True HEPA filter that can remove bad odor in the room and take care of mold spores, allergens, and pet dander respectively. Its pre-filter and True HEPA filter has a 5-stage timer reset system
- Energy saving mode and programmable auto-timer features– You should always invest in a filter that can save on energy as they are meant to run 24/7. This air purifier is very cost effective and has a timer that auto-shuts every 2, 4, 6, and 8 hours just to save energy
How to Use and Maintain Air Purifiers for Mold?
When it comes to air purification, you should know the basics and always make use of its user manual for effectiveness. An air purifier can easily get rid of any floating mold spores before they touch the surface and cause more damage.
You can always rely on any quality air purifier to remove air allergens, dust mites, bacteria, viruses as well as different kinds of smoke and bad odor in your home or office space.
Moreover, air purifiers often work to lessen the number of mold spores in the air and cannot help you with active ground base molds stuck on walls, furniture, and any moist place.
You just have to know how to control and use its settings for a better quality air.
On the other hand, maintaining air purifiers is important as it prolongs its longevity. The most important part of an air purifier is its filter, which needs to be replaced often. They usually add to its cost but are worth it as they can purify your surrounding 24/7.
Therefore, you should always maintain it as recommended by the manufacturer, be it cleaning or filter change. Besides, most modern models come with a filter indicator to show you when to replace them.
You can also make use of the instructional manual and familiarize yourself with its specifications for a better breathable air. Otherwise, you will end up with constant air purifier malfunctions that cannot be fixed.
Conclusively, you should never place a price on quality air and good health. Invest in these air purifier as long as you can maintain it, and use it as recommended.
Some of the ones listed above are meant to ease your breathing at minimal costs. The only issue can be the cost of its replaceable filters. Nevertheless, it is better than being sick due to the indoor air pollutants.
Therefore, make your home a sweet haven by investing on any of these air purifiers for mold, mildew, dust mites, pollen, pet dander, smoke, and food odor as well as bacteria and viruses. Air quality is the key to a healthy easy long life.