Generators are the best backup plan, during an emergency power outage. This is because it can power any electrical appliance in your house, from lights to air conditioning as well as a refrigerator and a television set among others. Therefore, if you want a versatile and highly convenient generator, opt for one of the best dual fuel generators that run on gas and propane. This is because gas is affordable and propane has a long shelf life, so they complement each other very well. Besides, you can always switch from one power source to the other easily.
Best Dual Fuel Generator Reviews
Therefore, if you have no idea where to start, this dual fuel generator review will give you a heads up on the best picks for dual fuel generators, use, advantages as well as its buying guides.
Why Should You Trust Us?
If you want quality, powerful and durable dual fuel generators, then our top five picks should be on your list. They are from world-renowned companies, which deal with different kinds of power tools and electronics. Therefore, you can rely on them to work as stipulated by the manufacturer.
Moreover, our research is based on authenticity as well as affordability. So do not overthink the price tags when it comes to buying one of these units, as you will get exactly what you pay for. Thanks to this informative dual fuel generator review.
Dual Fuel Generator Comparison Table – Top 3
Things to Consider While Buying Dual Fuel Generators
When it comes to buying a dual fuel generator, you will have to pay attention to some details and specifications. You can opt for any be, it for your RV, tailgating, camping or home use. Here is what to look for before opting for any type or model of a generator that uses dual fuel source.
- Consider Power Need– You should consider your need for this type of generator before buying, as they have different watts that can affect performance. This can also limit the type and number of appliances run on it. Therefore, try to select in accordance to what it will be powering most.
- Run-time– When it comes to runtime, always go for a generator with a long runtime. As much as it has dual power sources, you still have to consider the runtime of each specific fuel choice on it, be it propane or gasoline. For a better choice opt for a generator that has a longer optimal runtime for the fuel you will be using more.
- Fuel Efficiency– Always opt for a dual fuel generator that is economical with a high level of fuel efficiency, that is 8 hours of consumption or more on a full tank, with half a load. Anything less is costly, especially if you plan to use it frequently.
- Compatibility– If you plan to move around with your dual fuel portable generator, then you should consider its effectiveness when it comes to using in different outdoor climatic conditions. As much as it is versatile and useful, it might not work well in snowy areas or places with heavy moisture. You can buy one that works for your area as well as places you plan to travel with it.
- Portability– In terms of portability, consider the units measurements, size, and Likewise, opt for one with wheels and foldable handles for easier movability and storage.
- Durability– The best dual fuel generator should last at least 6 years. This is usually determined by its overall structure, and engine, probably OHV types. The amount of horsepower usually determines the load it can carry. Moreover, consider getting a generator with a protective metal frame for the unit and fuel tank.
- Ease of Use– Here you can consider its convenience when it comes to using on different household appliances as well as its starter type be it, electrical, touch or conventional pull type, which is very handy in case the electric start fails.
- Noise level– Always aim for generators with the minimal noise level, as some can be disturbing to you and your neighbors. You can check for its decibels before buying, the lower the better.
- Budget– You can only consider this if you are on a tight budget, as cheap generators never last long and require constant repair and maintenance. Therefore, if have an unrestricted budget, you can invest in a durable quality dual fuel portable generator for long-term use.
1. Champion 7500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator with Electric Start
This is the best dual fuel generator, for the money. It has a solid construction with metal frames to keep the fuel tank and the generator safe from any falling items, which can damage it. Besides, it has a low oil shut-off sensor that protects it from any damages, when the oil is low.
Moreover, this generator has an intelligence feature that can keep track of your voltage, runtime in hours, hertz as well as monitor your power output and track its maintenance at intervals. In addition, it has a cold start feature that allows it to be powered even in the coldest of weather.
You can move it easily, as it has foldable handles and never-flat tires. Besides, it has 30A locking outlets, GFCI protected outlets and a 120/240V operation. Its engine is 439cc Champion engine with 74Dba, from 23 feet.
It comes with a 3-year limited warranty and a lifetime technical support from its experts, all free service.
What Makes This The Best Dual Fuel Generator?
- Dual Fuel Generator– This generator runs on propane or gasoline, the choice is always yours. On gasoline, it produces a starting watt of 9375 and a running watt of 7500. However, on propane, this generator produces 8400 starting watts and 6750 running watts. Moreover, it can run for 8 hours on a full gasoline tank and 5.5 hours on a 20-pound propane tank.
- Touch Start– This generator features a user-friendly push-button electric start. Besides, it comes with the battery needed for this operation.
- Volt Guard- This is an inbuilt surge protector in the generator. Therefore, in case of any voltage spike or surge, there will be no harm to your plugged in devices.
2. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Nicknamed the beast, this dual fuel generator can work on propane and gasoline, allowing you to pull 12,000W of power from its 457cc DuroMax OHV engine. It is ideal for home use and can power most home appliances, allowing you to enjoy uninterrupted power outage.
Moreover, it features a low-oil shut-off system that protects its engine in case oil level starts to decline below the required minimum. In addition, it has a full power panel with an oil warning light, a voltmeter, power outlets and a circuit breaker.
It is the best generator for a road trip, due to its ease on movability. This is thanks to its foldable handles and tires. Besides, it has a low noise level that you can work with at your home office.
Why Is This The Best Dual Fuel Portable Generator?
- Dual Fuel Technology– This generator allows you to use either gasoline or propane no matter the weather condition. It can run for up to 10 hours on gasoline alone, at 50% maximum outputs. While on propane (standard BBQ tank size), it runs for 20 hours at 50% maximum outputs.
- Heavy Duty Frame– This frame has four fully isolated motor mounts for a smooth quiet Besides, it quiet muffler reduces its engine noise, making it conducive for home use.
- Versatile– You can use this generator anywhere you like, as it is highly portable and has a spark arrestor making it EPA approved for use even in U.S. National Parks, you can also go with it for camping in the woods and even boat trips.
3. Westinghouse WGen3600DF Dual Fuel Generator
This is the best generator with dual fuel capabilities as it can easily power your home appliances, as well as work well with an RV or camper. Besides, it starts very easily, with the push of a button.
Moreover, you can switch from the two fuel sources, propane and gasoline very easily, even when it is still in operation.
This dual fuel generator has an intuitive control panel that features a 5-20R 120V duplex outlet, an L5-30 30 Amp outlet as well as an RV-ready TT-30 30 Amp outlet. It uses the 212cc Westinghouse 4-stroke OHV engine with long lasting cast iron engine sleeve. Besides, its engine is well protected by its automatic low oil shutdown feature.
It has peak watt of 4650 and is rated 3600W for gasoline. However, for propane, the peak is 4180W and is rated at 3240W. In relation, it has a four-gallon fuel tank with a fuel gauge. It can run up to 18 hours on a full tank.
In addition, it requires minimal assembly, just the wheels for easier portability and battery hookup. It also has a foldable pull handle for convenient movability.
Why Did We Include This In Our Dual Fuel Generator Review?
- Push Button Electric Start– It is simple to start this generator model, as you can just push a single button and it will power up. Its onboard battery charger port will help extend the life of your battery. Besides, its remote key fob makes it easier to start it from anywhere within range.
- Camper and RV Ready– This generator features a TT-30 30A 120V outlet for easy powering of your recreational vehicle. You just plug and play, no adapters required. It is the best generator with dual fuel features for an RV or camper.
- Warranty– You get a three-year warranty from this brand of generator. The warranty is backed by 1,500 service locations nationwide. You also get a lifetime support with it.
4. Pulsar Products PG10000B16 10,000W Dual-Fuel Generator
You can now camp, take a road trip or boat trip with this dual fuel generator. It comes with a wheel for easier movability and fold-down locking handles you can use for pushing. Besides, its wheels are no-flat tires and very durable.
Moreover, it features a solid body construction of strong powder coat steel frame, which keeps it safe from falling debris and even protects the gas tank from any damages.
In addition, you can switch in between the two fuels, propane and gasoline for maximum use. In relation, it has a powerful engine 420cc, 15 HP OHV engine.
Other features include four 120V, one 120/240V 50A RV receptacle and one 120V/240V twist-lock for maximum use. Besides, its warranty is covered by the manufacturer.
Why Is This The Best Heavy Duty Dual Fuel Generator For Home and RV?
- Patented Switch and Go Technology– This generator with dual fuel capabilities allows you to switch from one fuel source to the other with the flip of a switch. Therefore, you can now flip from LPG to gas or gas to LPG, even as the generator is still running.
- Powerful Dual Fuel Performance– You can power up different home appliances and even take this generator on the road. It has a very steady powerful and safe performance with a 10,000W peak, rated at 8,000W on gas while on propane it has a peak of 9,000W, and rated at 7,000W.
- Electrical Push Start– You can now start your generator easily by just the push of a button. Its electric push starts with recoil back up is very user-friendly and comes with its own power battery.
5. Powermate 6958 DF7500E 7500 Watt Dual Fuel Generator
This generator is very versatile as it can be of use at home, as a power back up plan, as well as on the road on your RV. You can also use it for camping and other outdoor occasions.
Moreover, it has a hassle-free electric start with a battery included. Likewise, its engine is very reliable and can provide you with consistent power.
Besides, its power outlets are covered for added protection from different debris. It also has GFCI duplex 120Voutlets.
Other features that enhance its performance include the fuel gauge that displays gasoline level at a glance. Its low oil shutdown also monitors the oil level, thus preventing potential damages to it and its engine.
In addition, it has a fuel selector dial that makes it easier to switch in between gasoline and propane fuels. Besides, you can also access the liquid propane connection point very easily in this dual fuel generator.
This generator has never-flat wheels you can use in rough terrain and a foldable handle you can use to move it. The fold-down handle also allows for an easier compact storage.
Why Do We Recommend This Dual Fuel Generator?
- Long runtime– This dual fuel generator can run at a 50% load for 10 hours on natural gas and up to 8 hours on a 30lb propane tank. Moreover, it can run on the same percentage load for 5.3 hours on a 20lb propane tank. This gives you an opportunity to maximize its usefulness.
- Versatile and powerful– You can now run any home appliance using this generator with dual fuel options. Besides, you can use it for various other occasions from camping, boat trip, and any outdoor event and even on your RV.
- Powermate OHV Engine– It has a reliable engine, powerful enough to provide the needed power for a long time. Besides, it has a digital multimeter that can track the engine’s runtime for the proper required maintenance.
Advantages of Using Dual Fuel Generators
There is a lot of advantage when it comes to using dual fuel generators anywhere anytime. The chances of staying in the dark, even in remote places are unlikely if you plan well for a quality dual fuel portable generator.
Here are some top advantages of owning some of the best dual fuel generators.
- Running a generator with dual fuel features is very economical as they save on electricity. Besides, you can always switch between the two power sources depending on what you are powering and the engine power of you specific generator.
- Given that these generators usually run on two types of fuel, it can increase flexibility when it comes to delivery of emergency power. This is because it can run on various fuel combinations for optimum performance in all types of operating systems.
- These generators that run on dual fuel are usually environmentally friendly, as they emit very low gas during their operation.
- A dual fuel generator usually eases the mind when it comes to convenience, especially when one fuel source runs out. You can always switch to the other one. Besides, some fuel sources like propane have a long shelf life, so you can have some in stock for an emergency.
- You can also run either of the fuel sources, be it gasoline or propane in any climate. You just switch accordingly. This is because cold can drop the pressure of propane fuel, making it hard to start the generator, but that is where gasoline comes in. You can then switch the fuel sources as you wish. Nonetheless, always keep in mind that gasoline cannot be stored for long. Otherwise, it will start to evaporate.
- Operating such a dual power source generator is not that hard, as the fuel mode is always auto-selected depending on the level of the fuel. Moreover, you will not have to worry if one fuel supply runs out, as it will automatically switch to the other supply without interrupting the power or causing any damages.
- A dual fuel generator also reduces the fuel storage requirement, making it easier to store and move around.
How to Efficiently Use Dual Fuel Generators?
Dual fuel generators are the most economical form of backup power supply. This is because you can use either of them when supply runs out. You just have to know how to use it effectively for optimal maximum performance.
Assuming, everything has been assembled in its place and the oil check is done. You can proceed to run your generator with dual fuel options with the aid of these tips below.
- First, you need the right amount of propane or gasoline to power up this type of generator. You should note that gasoline usually evaporates and spoils very quickly if kept for long and propane can last for almost a year.
- You can then start and stop it with the push of a button, most are user-friendly this way. However, check for how your specific type starts.
- Always use a heavy-duty power cord, and overlook the higher rating plus and select it based on the rated, running and continuous watts.
- You should strive to keep it running/humming. Therefore, try to store sufficient oil and filters to get through a longer power outage.
- To do the carburetor, empty its tank with a pump and reload with solid gas or another fuel source to run it.
- Always use a trigger valve for control, when filling the fuel into the engine.
- Remember that safety is a priority, so do not start the generator on an empty tank or on low fuel.
- Weekly maintenance or just the stipulated maintenance is mandatory for the generator to continue performing, as expected, throughout the years. Likewise, always inspect it before every use to ensure it is in tip-top shape.
Dual Fuel Generator FAQs
- Question: What is the gas tank capacity built into the Champion 7500-Watt Generator with Electric Start?
Answer: It has 6.1 gallons of gasoline fuel tank.
- Question: Are the wheels of the Champion 7500-Watt Portable Generator with Electric Start readily installed?
Answer: No, they are not. You have to install them yourself, which is very easy.
- Question: Does the DuroMax XP12000EH come with a propane hose?
Answer: Yes, it does come with one and it is about 8-feet
- Question: Can the DuroMax XP12000EH power electronic without damaging it?
Answer: This unit surges voltage according to the load change, so it can vary as much as 40 volts, thus causing some damages to different electronics. However, it comes with such a warning and recommends the use of a line conditioner, if you are powering electronics.
- Question: Can the Westinghouse WGen3600DF power a refrigerator?
Answer: Yes it can, it is a great generator, powerful too.
- Question: Does the Westinghouse WGen3600DF drop down to idle mode when there is no load?
Answer: Its speed is constant and it needs to stay that way, in order to supply 60 cycles like your utility company. A slow speed can cause damages to your electrical and electronic appliances.
- Question: Can you hook the Pulsar Products PG10000B16 10,000W Dual-Fuel Generator to a 500 gallon, house propane tank?
Answer: Yes, you can hook it to any tank size as long as your hose and regulator keeps the correct pressure. Besides, it comes with its own hose and regulator.
- Question: How do you convert the Pulsar Products PG10000B16 10,000W to run off natural gas?
Answer: You will have to change the orifice from propane to natural gas. It is a very easy conversion, but you can take it to a place known to major in such services, as Pulsar does not sell a conversion kit.
- Question: Does the Powermate 6958 DF7500E 7500 Watt Generator have an auto-idle feature to slow its engine when less power is needed?
Answer: Unfortunately, it does not have the idle control feature
- Question: Can the battery still charge even if the Powermate 6958 DF7500E 7500 Watt Dual Fuel Generator is still running?
Answer: Yes, it can still charge
In conclusion, a dual fuel portable generator is your number one solution to an impromptu power outage. This is because it runs on dual fuels making it highly convenient, in every situation and location. Besides, the best dual fuel generators are the ones that run on propane and gasoline.
You can settle on any type listed above as long as it works for your regular and occasional needs and is within your budget. Feel free to share this informative dual fuel generator review with others. It is worth the time and knowledge.