The Best Futon Mattress Reviews – Western and Japanese Futon
Everyone wants to save space, especially those with small apartments or rooms that make it hard to have a sofa and a bed in two different places. As a result, you are left with one choice, buying one of the best futon mattress on the market.
A futon mattress is the most convenient sleeping and sitting furniture, which can save you loads of space and even comfortably host overnight-unexpected guests. Besides, it is usually easy to replace this type of mattress. The options out there are limitless. You just have to know how to go about choosing the best futon mattress, even for the old one.
Best Futon Mattress Reviews
For that reason, this futon mattress review will help you out when it comes to buying one of the best futon mattress for your needs. It covers types, buyers guide as well as top ten-quality futon mattress in the current market.
Are Futons Comfortable Beds and Suitable for Everyday Use?
A Futon mattress is meant for everyday use, but only if you choose the right one in terms of quality, comforts, and longevity. It should combine a comfortable sitting and sleeping area as well as have a flexible mechanism for folding and unfolding into a seat and a bed respectively.
Moreover, it should hold up rigidly no matter the purpose, sleeping or sitting. Therefore, you should look for a futon with a quality core, be it rebound polyester or foam.
An 8-layer futon makes a supportive and firm area to sleep. Besides, you should ensure that the core has a surrounding of cotton and wool felt layers for better sleep.
Nonetheless, if you do not plan to fold your mattress into a seat, then purchase an 8-layer felt or cotton futon for a faintly soft and supportive sleep experience.
Additionally, you should also consider base in terms of quality and durability, as well as how you intend to leave the futon mattress, be it as a bed or a seat fold-up.
If you are going to leave it in a bed position go for pine bases, they can last longer. For a bed to a sofa futon, opt for a 3-seater kind of bases, as they allow for an easy conversion.
Therefore, a futon mattress is a comfortable bed for anyone, as long as you make you pick very well. You can easily manage this, by reading some of the top futon mattress reviews online, like this one.
Likewise, you can just place your sole trust on the ten mattresses listed in this futon mattress review. They are legit, so is the information provided.
Types of Futon Mattresses
The best type of futon depends on how you plan to use it, be it for guests or regular sleeping, as well as the filling material used in it, and how it reacts to your body weight.
Here are some common types to make the choice easier for you, depending on need:
- All Cotton Futon– It is all cotton, no foam other than cotton filling and is very firm. However, its recent modern blend of cotton and polyester makes for a comfortable sleep area. It is easier to fold into a sofa seat and tends to clump, so a weekly or monthly rotating and flipping can enhance its usefulness.
- Cotton and Foam Futon- This design is very popular, but still needs monthly rotations and yearly sunbathes for minimal clumping and more plumping. Moreover, its core has foam layers with cotton batting. The more the foam, the softer it is.
- Foam and Polyester Futon- These are very durable and can hold their shape for a long time due to its polyester support system. With less cotton, few cotton layers for softness surround its foam core. They are light and ideal for everyday sleep. You can flip it once every three months.
- Memory Foam/Visco Futon- This conforms to your body shape and gets even much softer with your body heat. They are expensive with minimal care, and little recovery time. Moreover, they have low odor retention, resistant to dust mites, hypoallergenic and breathable with better airflow.
- Innerspring Futon– They are expensive but comfortable for sleeping as the spring-cushions easily absorb your body pressure. Moreover, it has polyester outer layer battings, thick foam barriers for extra comfort, as well as individually encased springs, all placed in a cotton fiber. Flipping is after every six months, and they never fold up into a seat.
- Latex Futon– Have a dense sleeping surface and are very comfortable. Moreover, they have elastic features for easier body conformity. The natural organic latex from rubber trees makes it superior in terms of quality and durable for up to 15+ years, much longer than a foam futon mattress.
- Wool Futon Mattress– Wool futon is not common as they are prone to allergies and are absorbent, making odor and moisture an issue. However, its natural insulation features make it ideal for cooler climatic conditions. Besides, it needs care like a cotton futon and a mattress protection cover for comfort.
What to Look for While Buying Futon Mattress?
There are many options when it comes to these types of mattresses. However, you have to pick the best one for your needs, which can be hard for anyone who has no idea what to look for in them.
In this section of this futon mattress review, you will learn some tips on buying a quality and durable futon.
- Purpose– Always consider how often you will be using the futon mattress, for guests you can opt for a cheaper one while for everyday use opt for the high-quality durable but expensive ones. You should also keep in mind your sleeping posture, illness or back issues when opting to sleep on a futon.
- Space– You should check your space or placement space before opting for any futon mattress, as it is meant to save space and not take much of it.
- Aesthetics– Appearance also matters, especially if it will be placed where everyone in your house or guests can see. Therefore, consider its level of durability and how long it will hold up as well as its style. Memory foam futons usually last than coil/spring futons.
- Versatility- Since a futon mattress is meant to serve two purposes, a couch, and a bed. Ensure that it can serve both its needs comfortably before you buy it.
- Comfort- You should check the material construction of the futon before buying, as it determines how it will react to your body, either sleeping or sitting. These materials can range from foam, spring, cotton, wool, latex or polyester. Besides, they determine its firmness or plushness, so go for individual long-term comfort.
- Thickness– In terms of thickness level, you will have to look at the frame in order to get a perfect match in terms of appearances and comfort. Moreover, an 8-inch futon mattress is comfortable for an adult than a 6-inch futon. Besides, a weightier person will be comfortable with a thicker futon mattress.
- Number of Folds– This depends on your frame, so you can have a bi-fold that folds once in two pieces, separately or a tri-fold for a double fold-up in three separate pieces.
- Mattress Cover- Here you can opt for water resistant covers for proper care of the futon. Nevertheless, you can choose from the varied types available from micro-suede, cotton, and Solid patterns and colors always make a better cover choice.
- Frame– You will have to take your own home or space measurements before selecting a size, as some can be big for your space. Moreover, the frame size and type determines the type of futon mattress you get. Quality should match with quality, do not buy an expensive frame and put a cheaper, inferior futon that will not last even a year and vice-versa.
- Durability– This is determined by the quality of materials used to make it as well as the period of the manufacturer warranty. However, it is important to note that, a futon can only last for a while if it is well taken care of, so do your part.
- Sleeping Position– Side sleepers should opt for a softer futon that will lessen neck and spine pressure by sinking the shoulders in. Back sleepers should go for a firmer mattress with elastic foam layering for proper back support and spine relaxing, respectively. Stomach sleepers need the firmest futon to prevent neck strain.
1. DHP 8-Inch Independently-Encased Coil Premium Futon Mattress
This is one of the best futon mattress in the current market, as it has a great support system for a comfortable sleeping environment. It has 522, individually encased 15-gauge coils all within a microfiber cover.
Moreover, it has top-quality polyester and foam layering in between the coils and the cover. Besides, its overall material composition is 100% polyester. It can fit any standard full-size futon frame and has a width of 75 inches, a depth of 54 inches and a height of 8 inches, all weighing 59lbs.
However, you will have to buy the futon frame and arms separately.
As for safety measures, its foam is free from flame retardants, mercury, ozone depleters, lead, PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP, Tris and other heavy metals. Moreover, it has low levels in VOC emissions for indoor air quality, below 0.5PPM.
In addition, it meets the federal flammability standards, 16 CFR 1633. Besides, it has no phthalates and comes with regulations from the Consumer Safety Product Commission.
2. Mozaic Full-Size 8-Inch Cotton Twill Gel Dual Memory Foam Futon Mattress
If you want a soft futon with a sofa-like design and appearance, then this should be your top pick. It has reversible gel memory foam for proper body support for a comfortable sleeping and sitting area. The polyurethane gel foam also enhances its longevity, so does its twill cotton cover.
Moreover, its plush comfort comes from its durable material fillings of cotton and blended fiber, 2-inches of memory foam, Visco and polyurethane foam. However, you have to clean it as stipulated in the user instructions, for it to last.
This full size futon mattress can easily fit any standard full futon frame, which you will have to buy separately. Besides, it is hand-made with the US federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633 guidelines
It is 54 inches wide, 8 inches thick and 75 inches long.
3. EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress
Are you looking for a queen size futon mattress, here is one made by Japanese artisans. It has a firm polyester pad in between two soft layers of polyester quilt. You can rely on it for maximum cushioning and comfort as you sleep.
This Japanese futon mattress is resistant to dust-mites as it is filled with TEIJIN MIGHTYTOP®II ECO, which also protects it from bad odor and bacteria for up to 3 years.
Moreover, its outer fabric is 100% hygroscopic cotton while the stuffing is 100% polyester, but contains 50% of TEIJIN MIGHTYTOP®II ECO.
Besides, it is vacuum-sealed for delivery and needs time to expand to its normal size.
4. Better Homes & Gardens Wood Arm Metal Futon with Coil Mattress
This is one of the best futon mattress with sturdy wooden arms and a metal frame for enhanced durability. Besides, it can fit any home décor and serves as a sofa by day and bed at night. It can easily support any weight without making squeaky noises.
Moreover, it has 8-inches of individually wrapped coils that provide better support as you sleep and sit on it. The coils can reduce friction for an easy sleep. Likewise, they relieve your pressure points for a relaxed rest.
You can even sleep with your partner on it undisturbed, as the coils reduce any vibration and isolate motion. Therefore, you can all sleep soundly, without waking up the other even as you toss and turn.
5. WOLF Serta Cypress Double Sided Innerspring Futon Mattress
If you want quality and affordability, look no further than this queen size futon mattress from Serta Cypress. It is 8 inches of 288 Bonnel innerspring units, for support.
Moreover, the spring is surrounded by two, 1-inch pieces of foam that are CertiPUR-US Certified for easier conformity to your body weight and shape. Additionally, its WOLF cottonique, a mix of cotton and polyester, provide the needed extra comfort while its 18 polyester nylon tufts make it highly stable.
Likewise, it has no ozone depleters, lead, flame-retardants, mercury, formaldehyde as well as phthalates.
You can fluff it up to four times, occasionally to enhance its durability. In relation, you can turn it over once in a month, for equalized wear and enhanced comfort.
It is sold compressed and rolled, for ease during shipping and set-up.
6. Classic Brands Classic Brown 8-Inch Full Size Futon Mattress
This full size futon mattress has individual cased 7-inch coil innerspring system that enhances its durability and minimizes any wear and tear. Besides, it is 8 inches and can be fitted with any standard full futon mattress frame. Likewise, you can use it on bed frame without any box-spring/foundation.
Moreover, it has foam layers sandwiched between its 540 coils and cover for better comfort during sleep. It is 8-inch in height, 75 inches in length and 54 inches in width.
As for cleaning, you can just use a damp cloth to wipe its microfiber polyester cover. The better you maintain, the longer it will last.
Consequently, this topper comes with a 1-year warranty, hassle-free. Besides, its smart packaging technology makes it lighter and easier to ship, as it reduces it to 1/3 of its normal size. This technology also reduces the rate of carbon emission, as many products can be rolled and shipped at once.
7. D & D Japanese Futon Mattress
If you want a quality but cheap futon mattress then this one here is the most affordable in this top 10 list of this futon mattress review. It is ideal for floor sleeping and does not need any frames or arms, in order to feel comfortable.
This Japanese futon mattress is highly efficient and mobile, you can place it anywhere use it for almost anything and roll it afterward for easier closet storage or carriage. It is the ideal futon for trips/camping.
In addition, it is 3-inches of futon thickness, with 90% white cotton filling, 5% polyester fiber as well as 5% sturdy foam material. Besides, it is 80-inches long and 60-inches wide.
During set-up, you can stretch it out fully by pulling its ends. It will regain its original shape, after a few days of use.
This cheap futon mattress meets flame-retardants by-laws and is very safe for long-term use.
8. Royal Sleep Products Memory Foam Futon Mattress
This is the ideal memory foam futon mattress for all types of sleepers, as it has a closer feeling to that of a quality mattress, in terms of comfort level during sleep. Its material filling combination makes it thick and comfortably fluffy.
It has two layers of quality memory foam, one polyurethane foam layer as well as four layers of cotton and polyester blend for a medium-firm feel, which is soft but supportive.
This memory foam futon mattress comes with a soft yet durable cotton cover with a color that goes with any home décor. You can unzip this tufted cover and machine-wash it or just spot clean it. Besides, proper maintenance enhances the overall durability of the futon mattress.
As for measurements, it is 8-inches high, 75 inches wide and 54 inches deep.
9. Artiva USA Home Deluxe 8-Inch Futon Sofa Mattress with Innerspring
For an everyday sleeping futon, this one here is the best choice, due to its medium-firm comfort and support level. Its material construction includes, innerspring and 2 premium layers of cotton. Besides, it has three layers of polyester fiber batting, each being 1.5 inches.
Moreover, it has a blend of polyester and cotton off-white mattress cover with a 23-lace tuft for better support and enhanced durability of the futon.
This 8-inch futon is very durable and comfortable with a modern and stylish touch to it. However, it has the feel of a traditional mattress, which is great for all types of sleepers.
Besides, it is a space-saver and very easy to unpack and set-up. You can put it anywhere in your home, for guests, kids and even for yourself. It is very convenient with an easy-to-change mattress cover for matching or complementing your different home/room décor.
Additionally, it is safe for use and has no health-risks even with long-term use.
10. Blazing Needles Vitality 10-Inch Twin Futon Mattress
Are you looking for a twin size futon mattress, we have found one for you. This 10-inch futon features four layers of foam core with cotton batting for the needed support as well as enhanced comfort. Besides, each of its high-density foam is 1.5 inches.
Moreover, it has a micro-suede mattress cover for futon protection, enhanced comfort as well as for a softer feel while sleeping. The cover also reduces any chances of spills for easier cleaning and top maintenance of the futon. Likewise, the better you clean it, the more you increase its durability.
As for measurements, this twin size futon mattress covers 75 inches in length, with a 39-inch width and a 10-inch height.
In conclusion, for the best futon mattress, you have to prioritize many things. You cannot just choose a futon mattress for the sake of having one. It has to be comfortable, durable and most of all a versatile space saver. Otherwise, you might end up with good-looking furniture that cannot support any weight.
Therefore, before you opt to buy any futon make sure you read some futon mattress reviews online or ask those who own one or two. This will enable you to make an informed purchase.