An inverter generator is one of the safest backup emergency powers that can power your sensitive electronic appliances. It produces DC, (direct current) and converts it to AC (alternating current), which is electrical energy, per engine rotation. Moreover, its engine speed often varies, depending on the electrical demand of the appliance. In addition, the best portable inverter generator is usually lightweight, energy efficient, quiet during operation, has a clean power with easy maintenance and servicing. Apart from home use, you can take a road trip or camp with it.
Best Portable Inverter Generator Reviews
Therefore, if you are looking for one, you can start your shopping using some of the tips and guides in this portable inverter generator reviews. They are all within a reasonable budget and from top reputable companies. So be familiarized and make a pick, in accordance with your needs.
Why Should You Trust Us?
If you are in the shop for a portable inverter generator, then you are on the right website for an informative review about some of its top six. This is because our research and writing team has compiled a list of the best of all, from renowned world companies that is Honda, Yamaha, Champion, Westinghouse, and Pulsar.
Moreover, this optional list of machinery is highly durable and effective. Besides, anyone can operate them no prior experience is needed. You just have to be acquainted with the user manual, from basics to technical know-how.
Therefore, do not be hesitant when it comes to opting for any one of them. This is because you will be dealing with the best only. Nevertheless, we give you options to narrow your choice within your budget.
Inverter Generator Comparison Table – Features, Ratings, Price
Top Inverter Generator Brands
Honda power equipment is one of the most reputable and renowned machinery company that deliver only durable, strong and effective tools.
Honda portable inverter generators are usually within 1000 to 7000 watts and have a super quiet operation system. Moreover, they are portable and multi-purpose. You can use them for home back up, RV powering, camping, tailgating and so much more.
Besides, they are always the number one choice of machinery, for the rental and construction industry
Yamaha is a highly recommendable company to buy power equipment, as it has loads of selections that can power varied types of appliances. They are highly valued due to their ease of portability, fuel-efficiency, and quiet operation.
Champion is another top equipment manufacturing company that combines innovation with versatility, to give you the perfect inverter generator for your home, projects, and RV. It usually produces portable generators within 1,200-12,000 watts.
Westinghouse inverter generators can power anything, from any location, due to their ease in portability and high efficiency when it comes to fuel consumption. You can rely on its models to safely power up electronic appliances.
Pulsar is one of the leading companies when it comes to the manufacture of portable generators, be it for a home back up or a job site. It is highly reliable, with clean power making it safe for all sorts of appliances.
Moreover, its products have a straightforward 3-year warranty, on all mechanical parts. You just have to register the equipment within 30 days after purchase, no hassles.
Things to Consider While Buying Portable Inverter Generator
Before buying any power generator, you should consider some of these factors, to be able to maximize its use.
- Where you are going to use it– This depends on whether it is meant for home use, camping or for RVs and cabins. Moreover, you should also consider what you are going to power it with. Likewise, the number of appliances in question is also important. This makes it easier when it comes to choosing the right one, in terms of watts.
For RVs, you can go for a 2000 watt or higher but while camping a 1000 watts or less is ideal because you will not need a lot of electricity in the middle of the woods
- Power outlets or output– You can look for those with a standard three-prong or two-prong power outlet as they can accommodate almost any electronic appliance. Moreover, you should also consider a USB feature that can allow you to safely power your phone, laptop or tablet
- Motor voltage– Always check the motor voltage, as most portable inverter generators have a 120V outlet. This means it is the same as your home power outlet and anything higher can always cause damages to it and the device plugged
- Runtime– Here you can weigh your options in this manner. Long run time equals a big gas tank meaning less portability. While more portability relates to a smaller gas tank with a short run time. Nonetheless, you should always take the runtime, especially if the weight difference is small or ease of portability is convenient
- Noise level– You can always measure this in decibels, anything above 60 decibels at a 50% load is high. So just look at the noise rating before buying
- Portability– This term often varies from one individual to another. Besides, most are either lightweight in that you can easily lift them and even carry in a backpack while others need to be whe Moreover, you should note that those with wheels are usually bigger and have more power, unlike the lightweight ones which cannot run appliances for long
- User-friendly– As much as there is a systematic user manual, you can always opt for an easier one to use. Some of these user-friendly features are low gas shut off, low oil shut off and a gas meter
- Price– This matters a lot, as these power machineries do not come cheap. Therefore, you can only work within a specific budget. However, consider its runtime and where you are going to use it, before placing a price tag on it
1. Champion 3500-Watt RV Ready Digital Hybrid Portable Inverter Generator with Quiet Technology
This RV ready inverter generator is the best option for all your sensitive appliances. It has two 120V 20A with clean power, which is less than 3% THD. Moreover, it has a 12V DC outlet with a versatile dual USB adapter. You also get convenient battery charging cables, if your purchase it.
This power machine has an optional parallel ready feature you can use to maximize its power output. You can connect up to two inverters or a digital hybrid of up to 2800 watt or higher using this option.
In addition, it comes fully assembled and has a unique mechanical design that reduces its weight capacity by up to 20%. It weighs 81.6lbs and comes with built-in side handles that hold the entire unit together, protecting it from damage, in case it falls.
Why Did We Include This in Our Portable Inverter Generator Review?
- Features and Performance– This portable power generator has a quick touch panel that gives you easy access to its controls, hassle-free. This allows you to make the correct settings for optimal performance.
It also features a recoil start feature and a cold start Technology that ensures you get a clean and easy start even in cold climates. In addition, its 244cc engine produces 3500 running watt and a starting watt of 4000, ideal for tailgating and RVs.
- Run-time and Efficiency– It has a long-run time of up to 17 hours, at a 25% load while on a full tank of 2.9 gallons. Moreover, it has an eco-mode that monitors its power intake, in order to reduce the electric load. This, in turn, reduces the engine idles, for a quiet operation, saving on its fuel and enhancing its engine
- Maintenance and Warranty– This power machinery has a 3-year LIMITED warranty and a free lifetime technical support from its dedicated experts. For maintenance, you can always refer to the user manual just to be thorough. Otherwise, it is very easy to service and maintain.
2. Yamaha EF3000iSEB 3000 Watts Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator
At 68 pounds, this gas-powered generator delivers a maximum output of electrical power without compromising on its ease of portability. Besides, its maximum watt AC output is 3000 while its rated watt AC output is 2800.
This power machine has a super-quiet muffler, with a noise level of 53 dBA / 60 dBA for a ¼ rated to a rated load respectively. Moreover, it can run for up to 19 hrs on its full gas tank of 3.4 Gallons, at a ¼ rated load.
It is easier to start due to the presence of auto-decompression and auto warm-up features that reduces compression level for a quick start and increases the speed of the engine during cold starts, respectively.
In addition, it has some safety features like an oil watch warning system that can prevent damages on the engine, due to low oil. Its electrical overload breaker also protects the generator from malfunctioning, in case of an overload. Likewise, you can easily see the fuel level via the fuel gauge, for a quick refill.
It has two 120V AC outlets and one DC outlet. Besides, it is CARB compliant.
Why Do We Recommend This 3000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator?
- Features and Performance- This model of the Yamaha has loads of features that enhance its performance, like the gasoline petcock that can allow you to shut off the gas and run the carb dry before storing it, this prevents any issues with stale gas.
The fuel gauge lets you see the fuel level. Besides, it has an auto-shut off system for when the oil level is low.
- Run-time and Efficiency– It has a strong 171cc engine that can run for 19 hours on a 25% load. Moreover, it has a Smart Throttle system that ensures the fuel efficiency is higher. It achieves this by adjusting its engine speed to match the size of the load.
- Maintenance and Warranty– This unit comes with a 3-year warranty on parts. Moreover, it has a good number of professional repairing facilities worldwide. Therefore, if it malfunctions you can just try to locate one within your area. Nonetheless, it is easy to maintain and service.
3. Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
This stackable inverter generator can be useful during emergency operations. It can power up various items in an RV as well as charge your phone, provide back up for a microwave, TV, conditioners, furnace, and stoves.
It has a very powerful pull recoil start and a Cold Start Tech that guarantees an efficient and quick start, especially during a cold weather.
Moreover, it features 3060 starting watt and a running watt of 2790 . Besides, it has two 120V 20A power outlets with clean electricity for household items, less than 3% THD. On the same note, it has a 12V DC outlet.
Its smart economy mode usually eases its functionality by reducing the electrical load, prolonging the engine life, economizing on its fuel as well as allowing for a quiet operation.
This portable generator comes with a convenient built-in carry handle that enhances its portability. It weighs only 48.5 lb.
Why Is This 3000-Watt Inverter Generator a Recommended Buy?
- Features and Performance- This Champion inverter generator model features low oil auto-shut off sensor system and an overload protection that protects it and the device plugged in it from power damages.
It has a parallel capability that you can use to maximize and double on power output, up to 30 amps, by stacking a similar model on its top or bottom.
- Run-time and Efficiency- Its run-time for a 25% load is 9.5 hr hours with 53 decibels of noise at 23 feet. It has a True sine wave inverter technology with an economy mode that saves on its fuel.
- Maintenance and Warranty– It comes with a 3-year LIMITED warranty and a free lifetime technical support system from Champion dedicated experts. As for maintenance, you can change its oil after every 6-month or a year depending on use. You will have to clean its exhaust filter and spark plug.
4. Westinghouse iGen2500 Portable Inverter Generator
This model of the Westinghouse is much lighter with a compact design that allows for easier storage as well as portability. At only, 93lbs it comes with convenient wheels and an extendable handle on its bottom, you can use to transport it.
This portable inverter generator features two USB ports, a 120VAC 20A household duplex outlet as well as 120V 30A TT-30R recreational vehicle receptacle.
It can safely power up computers, laptops, mobile phones, kitchen appliances and other electronic appliances. Moreover, it is the perfect fit for tailgating, camping, DIY projects, home and work use. It is rated at 2200 watts and has a peak of 2500 watts at <3% THD.
Moreover, its powerful engine can easily adjust to meet the power/electrical demand of the load placed on it, the generator. This increases its efficiency when it comes to fuel consumption. It also lowers the exhaust emissions.
This power machine has some useful features for enhanced performance and safety. These are an overload and output ready indicator as well as a low oil indicator light. Besides, it is safe for use in forests and parks.
Why Should You Buy This Westinghouse Inverter Generator?
- Features and Performance- It features a remote starter as well as a push-button electric starter and a backup recoil starter for enhanced and quick performance. Moreover, it has low tone mufflers, asymmetrical cool fans, as well as a double-insulation acoustic enclosure that reduces its operational noise level.
In addition, it has an automatic rotating digital display that shows the remaining run-time, fuel level, voltage and power output.
- Run-time and Efficiency- This model of Westinghouse machine is highly fuel efficient, up to 30-50% when compared to a traditional power generator. Besides, it can run up to 10 hours at a 25%. This gives you enough power for day and night.
- Maintenance and Warranty- This power generator comes with a 3-year LIMITED warranty plus a Westinghouse nationwide support and service network. You can use its user manual when it comes to keeping up with its regular maintenance and servicing.
5. Honda EU3000IS1A 3000Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Portable Inverter Generator
This product does not come cheap but is worthy, as it has a powerful engine that can safely handle small appliances and larger loads of 1000W plus. It can power up, laptops, Xbox, TV/DVD player, freezer, coffee pot, satellite, and a microwave.
Moreover, it is highly portable, weighing only 45.6lbs. Its dimensions are 11.4 by 20.1 by 16.7 inches. Besides, it is gasoline powered and can be carried anywhere, for a camping or road trip and even to a construction site.
Besides, it is easy to use you just turn on its side knob and pull the cord quickly. It can take a while to get used to pulling the cord. Nevertheless, it is generally a user-friendly device and anyone can handle it.
Additionally, it is the best for emergencies. It produces 53-59 decibels of noise, depending on how long you run it and has a power rating of 2,000W and 120V power outlets.
What Makes This the Best Portable Inverter Generator?
- Features and Performance- Honda usually makes some top quality products, even inverter generators. This model has a very reliable engine that allows you to pair it with another similar unit, in order to increase the power output. You will just need to use a separate adapter.
- Run-time and Efficiency– This unit is highly fuel-efficient and has an Eco-Throttle system that balances its engine speed to the required load. In relation, its run-time for a 25% load is 8.1 hours, which drops to 3.4 hours at its rated 1600W load.
- Maintenance and Warranty– It comes with a 3-year warranty. Moreover, Honda has a wide base of technicians stationed almost everywhere. You just have look for them in your location, instead of sending them (Honda) the defective product. Besides, you will not have any issues with maintenance, as it is easy to service.
6. Pulsar PG6000 6000W Peak 5000W Rated Portable Inverter Generator
This inverter generator has a versatile design that can operate up to three major electronic appliances at the same time. Moreover, it has two circuits, circuit breakers and seven different outlets you can use to your advantage to power up almost anything.
It has four convenient 120V outlets, one-120V twist-lock outlet, and one 120V/240V twist-lock outlet as well as a 12V DC output. Besides, its peak watt is 6000 and it is rated at 5000 watts.
Additionally, it comes with an overload protection feature, which prevents any damages to it and the plugged-in appliance.
It weighs 181lbs and comes with No-flat wheels as well as two foldout handles for ease when it comes to portability. Besides, this device requires a bit of assembly, which is easy if you use the manual.
Why Is This The Best 6000-Watt Inverter Generator?
- Features and Performance- It features a fuel gauge you can use to see how far the oil has gone. Likewise, it has a low oil shut-off system for engine
Moreover, it also features an easier to read gas gauge as well as a unique3N1 digital meter that is volts, frequency and hours.
- Run-time and Efficiency- Its run-time for a 50% load is 13.5 hours on a full tank of 6.6 gallons. Moreover, its operational volume is 72 decibels of noise. In addition, its 302cc engine has a design that operates at optimal efficiency for longer hours up to 6000W peak.
- Maintenance and Warranty- Its maintenance is easy, just follow the manufacturer’s guidelines to stand a chance of enhancing its lifeline. Remember to clean and replace its different parts as stated, to avoid any malfunctioning. It has a three-year warranty. You just have to file the documents for it to be effective.
Why Should You Choose Inverter Generator over Conventional Generator?
Inverter generators are often the best choice when compared to conventional generators. This is due to many reasonable comparisons that cover functionality, performance level as well as essential features and safety measures.
Here are some top reasons why you should always choose an inverter generator as opposed to a conventional generator.
Inverter Generator: They have a design that converts DC, direct current to AC, alternating current for safe operations of different and sensitive appliances. This means that it only produces electricity depending on the demand of the plugged-in appliance. This, in turn, reduces the fuel consumption as well as noise level.
Conventional Generators: The conventional generator is designed to create an alternating current, meaning they are only ideal for running an appliance with greater output over an extended period, producing loads of noise.
II. Size, Weight, and Portability
Inverter generators are typically small, measuring a few cubic feet with a weight range of 30-50 pounds. This means you can hike with them fit them in your RV, boat or car.
On the other hand, conventional generators are bulky and heavy to the point you cannot move them from one place to another without wheels and a substantial metal frame. They lack the convenient ease of portability found on its competitor.
III. Fuel Efficiency and Run-time
Conventional generators can accommodate sizeable fuel tanks that can run for a long time, supplying the needed power. Moreover, most run at 3,600 rpm, regardless of the load, you can only stop it by turning it OFF.
As for inverter generators, they cannot use big fuel tanks due to their compact design. As much as they run for a short time 8-10 hours, they are great at controlling and adjusting engine speed depending on the load. This means it can save on up to 40% of its fuel. In addition, they reduce the level of exhaust emission.
IV. Noise Level
Inverter generators usually have special mufflers, sound-dampening tech and quieter engines that make them run very quietly. You can sleep soundly even as it operates.
However, conventional generators often run at a constant speed and that results in a constant undesirable noise from it. Most have a noise level of 65-75 decibels.
V. Maximum Power Output and Quality
Conventional generators have a watt range of 500-50,000 while inverter generators have a small range of 1000-4000 watt.
As for quality output, inverter generators produce clean power by converting AC output to DC and back to AC. Conventional generators just supply AC directly to the load.
VI. Parallel Operation
Inverter generators have a parallel operational option, you can use for linking another identical unit to double the power supply. Conventional generators do not have this option.
Inverter generators are a bit pricey compared to conventional generators that have been around for a long time. However, they are the best as they operate quietly, are energy efficient, portable and can power sensitive home appliance.
There you have it, a list of some of the most recommendable and best portable inverter generators in today’s market. They come from reputable companies in the power and machinery industry.
Therefore, rest assured you are only getting quality long-lasting power equipment, from this portable inverter generator reviews. Besides, they are all easy to operate and service, however, you can make use of its detailed instructional booklet.